President Babrak Karmal
• Afghanistan’s third President, President Babrak Karmal was the best known Marxist leader in his country.
• During his pre- elections rallies President Babrak Karmal promised a lot of things to the Afghan people: no executions, new constitution, freedom for political parties and above all a non-socialist government. He fell short on most of his promises.
• Some of the promises President Babrak Karmal did fulfill were: release of political prisoners, declaration of the Fundamental Principles of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan and restoration of some of the property that was confiscated from the people.
• President Babrak Karmal wasn’t a favorite amongst the international community and journalists. In his only interview to journalists from around the world he separated them based on their countries political ideas, democratic or socialist.
• The country soon plunged into civil war due to President Babrak Karmal’s poor governance. As many as five million Afghans had to flee the country during his regime.
Please let everyone know what you think about this president. Do you like him or not and why? Leave your comment below.