President Hafizullah Amin
• President Hafizullah Amin was a prominent member of the PDPA party. He became President after his predecessor Nur Muhammad Taraki died of “undisclosed illness.”
• The PDPA grew wary of President Hafizullah Amin, as he executed and released a list of as many as 18,000 people in connection to Taraki’s murder, this was solely done to quiet the masses.
• This move didn’t make President Hafizullah Amin very popular and made him notorious for is brutality.
• This gave rise to a number of ‘freedom fighters’. But President Hafizullah Amin took care of this by launching a massive military operation against these groups in Paktia province, this move was quick and successful.
• He looked for support from America and Pakistan to help strengthen his military force, this was not to the liking of Soviet Union, who then invaded Afghanistan.
• President Hafizullah Amin was killed by the members of the Russian Alpha group in 1979.
Please let everyone know what you think about this president. Do you like him or not and why? Leave your comment below.