President Mohammad Daoud Khan
• President Mohammad Daoud Khan was the first President of Afghanistan and came into power in 1973 after overthrowing the monarchy of the present king and his cousin- Zahir Shah
• President Mohammad Daoud Khan was known for the way he ushered in an era of freedom and progress in the country, especially for women
• After having seized power on July 17th, 1973, President Mohammad Daoud Khan challenged the norm and instead of proclaiming himself as a Shah, he went on to establish the Republic of Afghanistan and was a self-elected president.
• It was under President Mohammad Daoud Khan’s regime that laws regarding the modernization of the Military were passed and highly trained militia and weapons were imported in large numbers from the Soviet Union.
• President Daoud Khan is said to have opened unseen frontiers for Afghanistan as a country. Increased military sophistication, increased diplomatic relations with the USSR and laws protecting the rights of the women were passed during his regime, and were considered to be progressive policies by the standards of Afghanistan.
Please let everyone know what you think about this president. Do you like him or not and why? Leave your comment below.